Comments by geekgrrl0
  1. 1

I shop at food co-ops and health food stores that offer the chance to buy spinach and baby lettuce in bulk (as well as mushrooms), and we use our own cloth/reusable bags and containers. We also have a travel set of bamboo utensils (knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks) that fit in our backpack/purse that we carry everywhere. We will choose the product sold in glass over the one sold in plastic. I think the second biggest obstacle is organizing your life to remember to bring your shopping bags (or keep a packable one in your purse/backpack at all times) and your travel mug. Once you organize and get into the habit, these things don’t require thought. Sadly, the first obstacle is having the privilege to do these things. I have the benefit of living within a mile of a food co-op and a Whole Foods. I have the benefit of being able to spend a few cents to a dollar more for the sauce in the glass jar instead of the plastic bottle. Due to this privilege, I feel it’s my responsibility to be as close to zero-waste/disposable plastic-free as possible.