Comments by stony8868
  1. 1

Hi,

I tried this and found that the temperature drops well below 160 when you add the hot water (at 160) to the sprouts in the blender.

Any tips for keeping things at temperature for the 10 minutes?

How long do you have to drink you sprout smoothy. Seems it takes me a very long time.

Thanks!

1. 1

I’ve actually moved away from doing this. I think it’s too many variables to fuss with and my conversation with Dr. Jed Fahey allowed me to get some of his insight on the sprouting habits. The tl;dr is that the hot water protocol is vulnerable to possibly inactivating myrosinase and it’s hard to get the temperature right. There may be other issues too, but in general, the take away was that he seemed to think the idea of going directly from frozen into the blender was more favorable.

I also sometimes just eat them fresh since it’s convenient and I can eat a lot of them anyway. I’m looking to do a video update on all of this stuff sometime in the future… so stay tuned.

1. 1

Hi Rhonda, I’ve been using a sous vide set up to bring my sprouts up to temp (158F) and hold there for the recommended 10 minutes before stopping the reaction by cooling with water. It’s science, but it works like magic! Easy too!

1. 1

I’m confused… this “moved away from” comment is dated before the video! Can you please post what your LATEST method is for getting the most value out of our home sprouts? Also - do you recommend any pre-treatment to remove e-coli, etc. from the seeds?

Thanks! Love your videos - so so so informative.

1. 1

Hey Rhonda, Love these videos and all of your insight so thanks! Were you able to produce a new video on the best way to consume broccoli sprouts yet? I think there is alot of confusion out there on what is the best way to consume them after they are grown… do you freeze them? do you need to blend first before adding other ingredients into a smoothy… any other tips you recommend.

thanks again!

Evan

1. 1

at this point have you decided that its not advisable to just blend up the seeds? the video with Jed mentioned seeds contain more sulforaphane, but i’ve also see some links saying to not blend just seeds. its winter and my seeds are taking much longer than the standard 6-8 day cycle to grow, therefore the question. thanks.

1. 1

when you freeze the sprouts, do you just put them all in a large ziplock? i’ve tried this and turn into a solid brick. i assume i’m not getting them dry enough prior to freezing. any tips? should i spread them on a cookie sheet to freeze for a few hours then bag– kinda like how you’d freeze berries?

1. 1

They can get stuck in a clump for sure. One thing that helps is letting them drip dry a little bit before putting them in the freezer. Even then, however, it’s an inconvenience.

2. 1

Excellent! I look forward to the updated video. Freezing and blending seems like it will be soooo much easier.

1. 1

was a new video every uploaded?