Comments by
  1. 2

I agree with Kiltie5 and flashpoint’s comments about the fantastic podcast. I’ve been sprouting for over a month but if grinding the seeds is as good if not better then, then I too would love to know how many grams and should you grind just prior to consuming or can you grind and store? Thank you so much!

1. 1

Did you ever get this answered? I hate sprouting and wanted to just eat raw broccoli seeds but see warnings if high erucic acid.

1. 3

I was doing the Budwig Flax seed protocol for a while and read that you should grind the flax seeds for each batch because they oxidize in about 20 minutes. I’m guessing that would be true of any seeds. With broc seeds since I mixed them with tahini, I’m guessing the lack of air exposure would help preserve them. Love to hear Rhonda’s take on the grinding thing. Seems like they might make a good smoothie ingredient as well. Also wondering, given the choice between sprouts and ground seeds, is there any benefit the sprouts have that the seeds don’t?

1. 2

Broccoli seeds contain a toxin, erucic acid which gradually disappears as the seeds sprout. I would be very concerned about consuming ground broccoli seeds.

1. 3

Excerpts from the Abstract to a 2002 paper by West et al. entitled “Determination and Health Implication of the Erucic Acid Content of Broccoli Florets, Sprouts, and Seeds” state…

“The erucic acid content of broccoli florets, sprouts, and seeds was found to be about 0.8, 320, and 12100 mg/100 g, respectively. The estimated dietary intake of erucic acid from florets and sprouts was considered of little consequence, whereas in seeds a relatively small amount (about 35 g/wk) equaled our calculated exposure limit for erucic acid.”

Some supplement manufacturers produce broccoli seed ‘extracts’ and these are available to buy. Whilst the extraction process removes the erucic acid, it also destroys the myrosinase enzyme which is necessary to produce the health-promoting compound, sulforaphane. Please dont be tempted to consume broccoli seeds. The erucic acid in seeds is approx. 40 times more concentrated than in the sprouts, so the risk of toxicity is high. Erucic acid has been reported to adversely affect cardiovascular function. Best to consume the fresh sprouts or a 100% whole sprout powder or capsules with everything intact - apart from removal of water.

1. 3

Thanks for posting that, interesting. I wonder if it enough to cause any harm and if it would outweigh the benefits of the increased glucoraphanin concentration. Curious that Dr. Fahey suggested consuming the seeds. Hopefully he or Rhonda can comment on this point.

1. 1

After the podcast, Dr. Fahey did release a “frequently asked questions” page bringing up seed consumption.