Sauna Use and Building Resilience to Stress with Dr. Rhonda Patrick
Posted on January 3rd 2016 (over 2 years)
This episode is a presentation Dr. Rhonda Patrick delivered at the Biohacker Summit in Helsinki, Finland in 2016.
In this episode, Rhonda discusses...
- How heat stress, particularly from sauna use, makes the body more resilient to biological stress.
- How cellular stress creates what we call aging.
- The potential healthspan boosting effects of sauna use and how one study associated sauna use with up to a 40% lower all-cause mortality as well as a 50% lower cardiovascular disease related mortality.
- How sauna use has been shown to enhance athletic endurance in humans, stave off muscle atrophy, and improve the regrowth of muscle after disuse in animals.
- The potential for brain benefits, including the growth of new brain cells, improvements in focus, learning, and memory, and even potentially ameliorating depression and anxiety.
- How endocrine disrupting chemicals, such as BPA, PCBs, phthalates, and also metals are excreted through sweat. - Practical details like temperature and duration of sauna use, the difference between a dry, wet and infrared sauna, sauna timing, as well as other forms of heat stress such as steam showers, hot baths, and hot yoga.
Member support keeps us strong.
If you enjoy the fruits of , you can participate in helping us to keep improving it. Creating a pay-what-you-can subscription does just that! Plus, we throw in occasional member perks and, more importantly, churn out the best possible content without concerning ourselves with the wishes of any dark overlords.
Our website is 100% supported by people like you through this pay-what-you-can mechanism.
Fundamentals$5 / month
Loyal Fan$10 / month
Super Fan$25 / month
Power Supporter$50 / month
Heroic Supporter$125 / month