Major points from the publication:
- First paper biomarking expression of the MFSD2a protein in whole human blood and serum.
- MFSD2a levels in maternal blood on the third trimester were inversely correlated to DHA in maternal serum lyso-PL. (More DHA lyso-PL; more MSFD2a)
- MFSD2a protein expression in maternal blood was significantly lower in gestational diabetes groups and correlated with placental MFSD2a and Z-score neonatal head circumference during the first 6 months of life. (More maternal MFSd2a; greater head circumference)
- Infant head circumference is directly related to brain
- Gestational diabetes reduced materno-fetal DHA transport.