Comments by johnshoffner
  1. 1

Is there a straightforward way to test for sulforaphane content? Either by direct measurement or via some other marker? I’ve been taking multiple paths to prepare sprouts; I recently ran across a study using mature broccoli and the ESP deactivation was accomplished using 90 degree C water for 10 seconds. That’s pretty easy - just pouring a prepared kettle over a strainer basket of sprouts, then dousing with cold water. I then blend them with minimal filtered water and pour into ice cube trays. To help sulforaphane production I add a dash of mustard seed powder to the blender. The cubes are really handy for smoothies later. I am curious about the comments from Rhonda and others, that simply direct freezing of the sprouts from the sprouting jar, and saving for later blending might work well - saves a step for sure. But I’m looking for more guidance on what actually happens during the freezing process. Is there any conversion due to to cell wall rupturing? And if the later blending is done with other ingredients, will adequate sulforaphane be produced? The ESP would likely still be in abundance and the risk of preference to sulforaphane nitrile would still be there. So the basic question is, how hard should we be trying to deactivate ESP from the process? Sometimes being a maximalist is frustrating.