Comments by MerksPerks
  1. 1

I took my oven thermometer into the finnish sauna (no water poured on rocks though) and the steam room. I thought the steam room would be much hotter, because it FEELS much hotter. It was not. The temp hovered at 115-120. In the finnish sauna it stayed at 110. My gym has the sauna FIXED…it is not possible to make it any hotter. I called ‘round to many gyms some in my state (NJ) and some gyms in surrounding states – they all said they did the same – their sauna is fixed at 120 and will not go higher. Based on my research, the only alternative is to purchase the equipment after ensuring the temp can be made that high, or to build it oneself. I have found a Near/Far Infrared “store” where one can purchase sessions and use the equipment – I called them to see how high temps get and it is 150, no higher. So, you see, I cannot understand how anyone could actually FIND a sauna that would be heated to 170. I made an exhausting number of calls and found nothing. Waon therapy is set at 140 Fahren. Has anyone else found a manufacturer of saunas that builds them to allow for temps this high? Up to and over 170? (Fahrenheit) I am eager to learn where the holes are in my own research! Thank you!

1. 1
      1. 1

Hi there, I’m not in the US so I can’t speak to any businesses that would provided this service for you, there. However, I’ve found a couple of manufactures of infrared saunas will do custom builds which will get hotter. I can’t attest to if this factual. My suggestion to you, is contact the manufactures and ask if they can do a custom build, what guarantees they have etc. I’m sure you’ve thought of this already, so apologies if that’s the case.

My next thought would be to purchase an at home Finnish sauna. There are plenty of suppliers, they have kits that are ready to be built like an Ikea unit. They often have to be hard wired into the electrics though.

But, as is mentioned in the presentation, you can use lower temperatures to achieve the same result. But, you would have to sit in the waon or lower temperatures for longer (45+mins) and more frequently (5+ times per week). Obviously, this could be an inconvenience for you but it is an option either until you find a suitable solution or ascertain you can’t find a solution that’ll work for you.

Hopefully, someone else can give you much more detailed advice or advice about where you could locate a place that would meet your needs.

1. 1

I read these studies on sauna use with great interest but still have not been able to find a single sauna facility that allows their Near/Far and/or full spectrum saunas to reach anywhere near 170 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact very few go beyond 120 and the cap based on my calls and visits to numerous facilities is 150. Wondering what others have found ….

1. 1

Yes, but she mentions Waon works just as well however you need to be in the sauna for longer (45mins). Is there a specific reason you’re looking at Near/Far and/or full spectrum saunas instead of traditional? Asking, because I don’t have the space for a traditional sauna so I too would be interested in this option.

1. 1

Following. I am wondering the same thing.