Comments by Ljcopt
  1. 1

Hello Dr. Patrick. I really enjoyed your video on the sauna. My first sauna experience was around 1970. I have been a convert since. By my rough estimation, I have taken approximately 4,250 saunas since then. Now that I am 70+, I am using the sauna only about once a week. I am lucky enough to live in the country on 10 acres. My sauna is wood-fired so that means I have to chop wood (hedge), light the fire and tend to the large tank for a cold dip. If I wanted to sauna several times a week I would probably have to convert my sauna to electric which would be more convenient but would not have the atmosphere of the wood sauna. We like to run our sauna between 200 and 220 degrees F. and do at least 3 “rounds” of sweating and cool down each session. Gym saunas are not worth the effort as to me they are just a warm room. One of the main benefits of the sauna for me that you didn’t mention was the sauna for mental health. I enjoy the ritual of chopping wood and lighting the fire. It also means a good amount of time away from screens and forces you to relax and take time out of your day to slow down and meditate. We also enjoy the camaraderie of a group sauna and often share fondue after. Although I like to sauna year round my favorite time is deep in winter when the outside temperature is well below freezing. Nothing beats going from a 200 degree sauna to a tank of ice cold water for a steamy plunge. Often, my hair will freeze before returning to the sauna. Thank you for sharing your medical insights on the benefits of the sauna.