Comments by Kristabelb
  1. 1

Manufacturers of raw materials have made a lot of progress to synthesize NMN that is more stable. HPLC-based stability tests aren’t that expensive or hard to conduct and you can easily find out these answers. At www.ver.so/stability we showed that our NMN and Resveratrol formula did not degrade after 30 days at 104F (40C).

1. 1

Does anyone know of the compound that Sinclair used to stimulate NAD in his research? It’s riddled in secrecy. @kickAssBrockSamson, @dan

1. 1

@programmer_Ali @KickAssBrockSamson @dan The molecule that was used in this study is called nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) and it is a precursor of NAD, which regulates diverse biological processes, including, metabolism, aging, circadian rhythm, and axon survival. Actually, resveratrol (which Sinclair previously identified to extend lifespan, also increases NAD levels. Caloric restriction is another way to increase NAD levels and extend lifespan. I’m particularly interested in whether NMN cross the blood-brain barrier and if so, whether it gets converted into NAD. If it gets converted into NAD, this can repair damage to axons (GREAT) but if not it can cause axon degeneration. I think this is important to figure out before NMN supplementation.

1. 1

@rhonda @KickAssBrockSamson @dan It looks like Sinclair is confident about no axon degeneration occurring from his research. He has already patented and is selling a commercial product of 250mg NMN named Niagen-> http://livecellresearch.com/niagen/ Furthermore other companies are already commercializing the stuff-> http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/10572281-secfilings-com/1990542-niagen-nicotinamide-riboside-offers-huge-potential-as-next-generation-niacin. Thoughts?

1. 1

NMN causing axon degeneration worries me. I know one can buy straight NAD+. That way you would not have to worry if the enzyme that converts NMN to NAD+ is absent. With that said I do not know how much one should take of NAD+ on a daily basis.

1. 1

There is no known mammalian transporter for NAD+. In other words it doesn’t enter cells. It’s too big of a molecule. You need to take a precursor that converts into NAD+

2. 1

How would one know if NMN passes the BBB and if it gets converted? What would be the mechanism behind NMN causing axon degeneration?

1. 1

Niacinamide is transported across BBB but I’m not sure about supplemental NMN. When injected into rats, NMN causes Wallerian degeneration of axons but only when the enzyme that converts NMN to NAD+ is absent. I’m just not sure we know enough about supplemental NMN it terms of how much gets into the brain, what concentration saturates the NMNAT enzyme so that NMN begins to accumulate.

1. 1

:) What is the enzyme? Couldn’t one just simply inject a form of NAD? Or simply just simply IV NMN? My understanding of what you are saying is that there is good knowledge of injected NMN,

2. 1

Thanks!

1. 1

Does combining nmn with resveratrol help the nmn? If so, how does it help?

1. [Comment removed by author]

1. 1

I’m also concerned after listening to Sinclair that sourcing non-degraded NMN is not practical yet. He basically comes out and says people are likely getting degraded products, no matter how expensive.

Looking into things I found that there is another NAD+ precurser as indicated here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5398323/

I wonder why this has not entered the discussion. Something we are missing?

1. 1

I found this enlightening. I wonder what % of supplements are already degraded once they are shipped to customers and if in fact some may be doing more hard than good.

1. 2

I wish I knew how important this was earlier. I store my NMN sublingual powder in the fridge, but there have definitely been days where it’s sat out overnight or for several hours during the day. So now am I poisoning myself? Is there any way to know if it has gone bad?

1. 2

Since Dr. Sinclair can’t state which products he knows are good sources of supplements and products, can Dr. Patrick help us out on this front??

1. 1

Hi Rhonda, awesome interview as always! After listening to this interview I was concerned about David Sinclair’s comments about NMN and NR degrading to Nicotinamide and that this would be bad because it has been shown to inhibit DNA repair. I am taking Heliocare as a supplement to prevent against skin cancer and realize it is actually Nicotinamide! Could taking this supplement actually be harmful? Thank you for any insight!

1. 1

After listening to Sinclair, I’m a little concerned about my sourcing for NMN. If it hasn’t been processed, stored and shipped properly it not only could be useless, but dangerous? DS stated that when NMN goes bad it can actually shut off sirtuins? That is scary!

1. 1

What was David’s protocol for supplementation for himself?

1. 1

1000mg of nmn and 1000mg of trans-resveratrol