Comments by gooner14
  1. 1

Thanks for clearing that Rhonda. In one of the podcasts, I think it was in JRE you had mentioned about Autism developing early in utero and about estrogen activating TPH2 gene in the brain in women instead of Vit D. Has there been any development in scientifically proving Vitamin D’s/Estrogen’s role in preventing Autism ? Also, is Part 2 of that paper coming out ? Thanks!

1. 1

I hope there will be soon! I have been working hard on paper #2…submitting for publication VERY soon!

1. 2

Thanks Rhonda, I really appreciate your hard work!

1. 1

My pleasure!

1. 1

Rhonda, Here you mention that you take 2.8g of EPA and 1.8g of DHA, while in another podcast (Barbell shrugged) you mention that you take a 1:2 ratio of EPA to DHA. Does the ratio really matter as long as you consume adequate amounts of EPA (2g) ? What would be an adequate amount for DHA ? Thanks.

Please reply if you find time.

1. 1

It seems as though 2 g of EPA is key for many anti-inflammatory and also some brain effects. This is in triglyceride form. Phospholipid form (krill oil) allows for increased bioavailability of EPA (most prominently). My current dose is 2.12g EPA and 600mg DHA (both triglyceride form). I’m still trying to figure out how much DHA. Brain uptake appears to be poor and I’m finding some research indicating that EPA may also be important for brain DHA. It’s complicated but I’m trying to sort it out. I’ll keep you updated.

1. 1

Thank you!

1. 3

Rhonda, on a different topic, what is your take on eating whole eggs ? There are lot of conflicting arguments out there especially due to its high levels of cholesterol (thereby overlooking the benefits), ranging from the extremes of avoiding eggs to eating 3-5 eggs a day. There also seems to a confusion about the impact dietary cholesterol has on serum cholesterol. If/when you find time, could you please give your take on this? It would be valuable to lot of your readers too, I am sure. Thanks a lot!

2. 1

Oops! I meant a 2:1 ratio of EPA to DHA on barbell shrugged. My tongue must have been dyslexic on that one. Interestingly, I am currently (over the next 8 weeks) experimenting with a 4:1 EPA to DHA ratio. Been doing a ton of research on this topic and found some compelling evidence in terms of anti-inflammatory benefits and even brain uptake of DHA.

1. 1

Thanks for taking time to reply. Please let us all know the results of your 4:1 EPA:DHA experiment, if possible.