Comments by woody42
  1. 1

I think a lot of us feal skipping breakfast helps us lose weight but studies show that isn’t true. I am 72 years old and after starting to make shure I have a high protein breakfast not only is my food intake less during the day I started to respond to resistance exercise much better.

1. 1

This is interesting but is there any indication when this will be made available to people outside of a clinical trial?

1. 1

I noticed that the anthocyanin content of red cabbage is about 90.5 mg per 100 similar to what of blue berries. I wonder if the anthocyanins in red cabbage confer the same health benefits as those from berries.

1. 1

This type exercise program may have first been used in patients with Parkinson’s to improve there ability to swallow and cough. This exercise program has also been found to reduce the severity of obstructive sleep apnea.

1. 1

The vitamin paba is sometimes involved with greying hair. A friend of mine in his 30’s who was doing a lot of drinking and eating a horrible diet went totaly grey. When he stopped drinking and took some vitamins including paba his hair returned to brown.

1. 2
                https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ctm2.372       

The above link goes back to the clinical trial and discusses the dossage of NAC and glycine used.

1. 1

Very interesting but I note the 3 classifications used in the study were less than 25nmol/L deficient , 25-50 nmol/L insufficient and > 50 nmol/L sufficient. Or when converted to ng/ml would be 10ng/ml,20ng/ml and >20ng/ml but have any studies looked to see if additional protection was afforded with a level in the 40 to 60 ng/ml range ?

1. 5

I wonder if this would still apply to men and was that 1g of fresh garlic or an extract ?

1. 1

I am a type 2 diabetic and like a lot of type 2 diabetics have problems with my morning fasting blood sugar this is sometimes referred to as the “ dawn effect ” I find taking 10g of inulinFOS lowers my morning fasting blood glucose the next day about 10 mg. This particular fiber also seems to stimulate the growth of a particular bacteria that to a small degree lowers hunger.

1. 1

I started taking vitamin D about 6 years ago to aid with my winter depression. As an unexpected side effect over the following years my myopia progressively got better . I went from 20/80 to 20/30 but if I stop taking it for a few weeks my vision get worse again. So with my level of 59.5 I hope that provides me some protection from this damn virus.

1. 1

I would think part of this may be related to vitamin C . Diabetics may show an increased need for vitamin c partly because high glucose levels may inhibit the absorption of vitamin c into leukocytes.

1. 1

In looking at the article they were using 50 minutes of exercise 3 days a week. I wonder if 25 minutes 6 days a week would be as good or better or are there any proven advantages to longer less frequent aerobic workouts?

1. 1

Interesting that this was about adults. I saw this article about children and how full fat milk protected them from developing obesity and diabetes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191230104810.htm

1. 1

This is very interesting. In the past I have used blue light exposure to treat my seasonal effective disorder sometimes just called the winter blues. But I assumed it was just the light reaching the retina that was important. But I did read another article like this saying a bright blue light applied to the back of the knew could be used to reset the circadian clock.

1. 1

This was odd in that it’s almost opposite from what many of us follow but if you read the article the health benefits were outstanding.

1. 1

I believe most of us already have some of this healthy bacteria and can enhance it’s growth my taking the soluble fiber InulinFOS . Also this article also mentions some other plant compounds as well as omega3 as raising our levels of this bacteria. It’s also interesting that metformin may increase the level of this bacteria and one of the possible side effects of metformin diarrhea may respond to taking InulinFOS. But one question I have is is there a readily available source of this probiotic as all the formulas I have looked at are lacking this strain of bacteria. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19490976.2016.1142036?src=recsys

1. 1

I might be mistaken but I beleve the 1982 book Life Extentsion by Durk Pearson discuses the drug Hydergine . Among other things this drug is a strong antioxident that Pearson believed could cause the brain to form some new nurions. This drug was sometimes perscribed at .5mg a day for early dementia. But a few people experemented with using it in the 10 to 20 mg a day dose and unexpectidly if they had hearing loss it ofton cleared up.

1. 1

I haven’t been getting much omega 3 in my diet. I know that plasma levels of omega 3 respond rather rapidly to increased intakes of omega 3 . But how rapidly after taking more omega 3 in the diet and or supplementing with krill oil would it take to correct any shortage in the brain. Would you expect significant changes in brain omega 3 levels after a week or 2 of higher intake or would this take many months.

1. 1

The study used kale juice would it be necessary to use juice would these compounds still be available from cooked kale and would the cooking harm these compounds ?