Comments by drant
  1. 1

I’ve taken 25 to 50 mg DHEA / day for a good while…until…

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16617690

“The author evaluated the effects of DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) on the amount of telomeres of normal cells and cancer cells and found the following: Contrary to the literature, which often recommended 25-50 mg of DHEA daily for the average adult human being, the author found that, depending on the individual, the maximum increase of normal cell telomere was obtained by a single optimal dose of 1.25-12.5 mg.

Cancer cell telomere reduced from higher than 1100 ng to less than 1 yg (=10(-24) g) with equally significant normalization of abnormal cancer parameters

On the other hand, if a patient took an excessive dose of DHEA, the amount of normal cell telomere DECREASED, while there was an increase in cancer cell telomere. It was found that those who took an overdose of 25-50 mg daily for more than 3 months had a high incidence of cancer of the prostate gland, breast, colon, lung, and stomach."

Now taking 15 mg / day.

I’ve seen no discussion of this study elsewhere though.

I also see little discussion of the potential issues regarding using other telomere lengthening supplements.

As far as meditation and telomere length…where’s the research on the effects of “sexual meditation” on telomere length? There are certain eastern religious practices related to this. Might be hard to get funding…but many volunteers?

1. 1

I wouldn’t take the results of a single paper published in a rather obscure journal (Acupuncture & Electro-Therapeutics Research) too seriously. The author, Yoshiaki Omura, M.D., Sc.D, is the editor and chief of that journal and most of his publications seem to be there. There were no links in PubMed to getting the the full text, so I searched a bit. It’s available from the Journal for $46, but I wasn’t that interested:) https://preview.tinyurl.com/yy6nog6d. I also found it on researchgate.net: https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyxrejcg where you can request a copy from the author. I didn’t bother.

I think the abstract reveals enough. The “results” are based on the “Bi-Digital O-Ring Test” which was invented by the author. One might think that this is an accepted test that involves digital measurements or computers. It’s not. Digital refers to fingers, and and the Bi refers pulling from two directions and the “O-Ring” is how the subject holds their thumb and forefinger in an “O”. I’m not making this up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDORT . As per wikipedia, the Patent was finally (after two failed attempts) granted in 1993 “….After receiving expert testimony from Omura’s "associates in clinical fields and basic sciences, both in Japan and the United States” regarding BDORT, the USPTO issued US 5188107 in 1993.[1][13] The fact that a patent was granted to the BDORT has been cited as an example of ‘high weirdness’ by one firm of patent attorneys.[12]"

Using the same testing methodology the same author published a paper in 2016 claiming that the “optimal” 400 IU/d of Vitamin D was protective of cancer but that 2,000 to 5,000 IU can cause cancer. https://tinyurl.com/y6p4v2rq If that’s the case (which I’m sure it’s not), I’m doomed!

BTW, I’ve been taking 25-50 mg/d of DHEA on and off since the mid ‘90s and plan to continue doing so. I’m 74, and a retired aerospace engineer who has taken my health seriously since the early '80s. One of the possible concerns with DHEA supplements has been the possibility of increased prostate cancer risk based on its ability to raise testosterone levels. I test my PSA annually and it’s always been <1.0.

To be sure, there is debate on both sides of the PC risk question. Here’s a brief summary of the argument that DHEA may actually help prevent PC. There’s a 5 point summary at the end. https://tinyurl.com/yxre3z2p concluding with “Bottom line, I believe the benefits far outweigh any potential risks — and recommend that all of us who are growing older include DHEA in our supplement regimens to maintain healthy youthful levels of DHEA.”

1. 1

Wondering about any research or info on using lysine to reduce/control oral herpes infections? Is this effective?

In my experience it stopped minor herpes outbreaks at 500 mg / day…after reading about herpes being assoc. with alzheimers I started with 1 G lysine per day.

1. 1

Seems that many of the substances good for helping the eyes also help the brain…apparently they are connected.

1. 1

I find that a cup of strong coffee and a bar of dark chocolate works wonders when driving or playing video games. Not so sure about the cocoa butter…not to mention the cadmium/lead.

1. 1

no link

There are considerable variations in the quality of drinking water in Norway. The researchers studied variations in magnesium and calcium levels in drinking water between different areas, as these are assumed to have a role in the development of bone strength. They wanted to examine whether there was a correlation between magnesium and calcium concentrations in drinking water and the incidence of hip fracture.

The study results show that magnesium protects against hip fracture for both men and women. The researchers found no independent protective effect of calcium.

no link

It’s well known that cardiovascular deaths, including sudden cardiac deaths, occur far less frequently in areas that have hard water, which contains lots of minerals, compared to areas with soft water, which is relatively mineral free. British researchers took a close look at this data and narrowed the protective effects to one specific mineral: magnesium.

Magnesium is a viable option for preventing sudden cardiac death because it plays key roles in several aspects of cardiovascular health, and deficiencies are linked to an increased risk of hypertension, heart attack, heart failure, and death. Subpar levels also promote electrical instability in the heart and are associated with a variety of rhythm disturbances, including ventricular arrhythmia and sudden cardiac arrest.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2016/12/As-We-See-It/Page-01

This study showed a 33% reduced pancreatic cancer risk in overweight men whose average daily magnesium intake was 423 mg compared to 281 mg.40 Another study showed that for each 100 mg increase in magnesium intake amongst overweight men, there was a 21% decreased risk.39

A large study evaluating Japanese men found that those with the highest dietary intake of magnesium were over 50% less likely to contract colon cancer.22

1. 1

I use aspirin only. I also use some willow bark…curcumin…turmeric…etc…

It turns out that aspirin not only increases the function of mitochondria, it also increases the number of mitochondria. Using a staining method called MitoTracker Green dye, the researchers discovered that aspirin increased the total concentration of mitochondria by two to three times. Since the most notable hallmark of aging is decreased numbers of mitochondria with decreased mitochondrial function, this data makes aspirin look like the best anti-aging substance that has ever come along.

So should we all run out and start taking aspirin every day? I think there is a better way. It turns out that within a matter of less than 15 minutes, the liver converts aspirin to another substance called salicylic acid. So the researchers reasoned that the effects of aspirin might be from salicylic acid instead of from aspirin itself. So to test for that, they repeated the same experiments using salicylic acid instead of aspirin. And guess what? The results were the same! The salicylic acid did just as well as the aspirin. And salicylic acid does not have the side effect baggage that aspirin has. So how can we take advantage of this new information? It’s quite easy.

Willow bark is an herb that contains the substance salicin. And when we eat willow bark, our livers convert the salicin to salicylic acid. So by taking willow bark, it is possible to get the same mitochondrial-stimulating effects that come from aspirin.

And if you don’t have any arthritis you can get willow bark extract at Amazon. I recommend the Swanson’s 25% extract. Take two per day for the longevity effect. Dr. Frank Shallenberger

• verify this yourself…use due diligence….I’m never sure I’m right…I just guess a lot…that’s life…keep guessing….
              1. 1

Look out! First it’s the mice…next it will be the humans. What will we do…what will we do….

1. 1

I think eating a diet high in fermentable fiber is VERY important for not only people with Parkinson’s but everyone.

1. 1

It’s simple…use it or lose it? Mentally…physically…sexually…emotionally…and other “ally’s” I can’t think of….

On the other hand…learning to avoid unnecessary retrograde type stress allows you time to engage in productive stressors?

I find that as I get older…a high % of what seems to be important to younger people is no longer so important.

1. 1

Lutein is in most eye supplements…in most people the eyes are directly connected to the brain ;-)

“Macular degeneration and cataracts are largely driven by free radical damage, and may in many cases be largely preventable by eating foods rich in antioxidants, such as:

Anthocyanins, found in blueberries, bilberries, and black currants

Lutein and zeaxanthin found in green leafy vegetables and orange and yellow fruits and vegetables."

Also….saffron….

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/saffron-for-the-treatment-of-alzheimers/

1. 2

something to think about?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150604141903.htm

Stanford University researchers Ben Dulken and Anne Brunet argue that it’s time to look at differences in regenerative decline between men and women. This line of research could open up new explanations for how the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone, or other factors, modify lifespan.

It’s known that estrogen has direct effects on stem cell populations in female mice, from increasing the number of blood stem cells (which is very helpful during pregnancy) to enhancing the regenerative capacity of brain stem cells at the height of estrus. Whether these changes have a direct impact on lifespan is what’s yet to be explored. Recent studies have already found that estrogen supplements increase the lifespan of male mice, and that human eunuchs live about 14 years longer than non-castrated males.

• I take several supplements that are supposed to increase T levels…guess I don’t want to live too long?
                          1. 1

So…I’m wondering what foods or supplements might duplicate this effect? There was a supplement by a Dr. Erskland (?) made from eggs (?) that is supposed to have this effect. Also various plant derived extracts? Any quality research out there?

1. 4

“It turns out that aspirin not only increases the function of mitochondria, it also increases the number of mitochondria. Using a staining method called MitoTracker Green dye, the researchers discovered that aspirin increased the total concentration of mitochondria by two to three times. Since the most notable hallmark of aging is decreased numbers of mitochondria with decreased mitochondrial function, this data makes aspirin look like the best anti-aging substance that has ever come along.

So should we all run out and start taking aspirin every day? I think there is a better way. It turns out that within a matter of less than 15 minutes, the liver converts aspirin to another substance called salicylic acid. So the researchers reasoned that the effects of aspirin might be from salicylic acid instead of from aspirin itself. So to test for that, they repeated the same experiments using salicylic acid instead of aspirin. And guess what? The results were the same! The salicylic acid did just as well as the aspirin. And salicylic acid does not have the side effect baggage that aspirin has. So how can we take advantage of this new information? It’s quite easy.

Willow bark is an herb that contains the substance salicin. And when we eat willow bark, our livers convert the salicin to salicylic acid. So by taking willow bark, it is possible to get the same mitochondrial-stimulating effects that come from aspirin.“ Dr. Frank Shallenberger

Abbreviated name Botanical name Plant part used

PE4 Cimicifuga racemosa Root and rhizome Black cohosh

PE5 Valeriana officinalis L. Root Valerian

PE6 Passiflora incarnate L. Whole plant passion flower

PE8 Ginkgo biloba Leaf Ginkgo biloba

PE12 Apium graveolens L. Seed wild celery

PE21 Salix alba Bark white willow

1. 1

Thx!