Joe Rogan Experience #1178 - Dr. Rhonda Patrick
Posted on October 4th 2018 (5 months)
Dr. Rhonda Patrick makes her eighth appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience.
A few of the topics and studies mentioned in this episode include...
- 00:02:00 - BPA in plastic bottles is a potential endocrine disruptor. Study.
- 00:02:30 - BPA has diverse effects on human health, including endocrine, reproductive, and transgenerational epigenetic effects. Study.
- 00:02:47 - BPA alters insulin sensitivity. Study.
- 00:02:54 - BPA interferes with in vitro fertilization. Study.
- 00:03:35 - BPA transfers across placenta: Study.
- 00:04:14 - BPA leaches out of baby bottles with repeated use. Study.
- 00:13:22 - Carnivore diet
- 00:15:50 - People consume less when following a low carb, high protein diet. Study.
- 00:16:23 - Diet monotony induces food habituation and decreases food intake. Study.
- 00:18:24 - Fasting-mimicking diet and ketogenic diet improve symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Study.
- 00:19:30 - Profound changes in gut microbiome occur with intermittent fasting. Study.
- 00:20:33 - Minocycline, a type of antibiotic, relieved symptoms of multiple sclerosis due to alterations in gut microbiome. Study.
- 00:23:16 - The gut microbiome plays key roles in human health and disease. Study.
- 00:23:16 - When people change from a high fiber to a high protein diet, their gut microbiome undergoes rapid and dramatic change. Study.
- 00:23:16 - “Putrefactive” bacteria in gut metabolize amino acids and are linked with increased risk of colon cancer. Study.
- 00:28:45 - Fasting favorably alters the gut microbiome. Study.
- 00:29:20 - Organs shrink during fasting and then regrow after refeeding. Study.
- 00:29:45 - Fasting stresses healthy cells so they increase their stress-response pathways, including heat shock proteins, antioxidant production, and anti-inflammatory. Study.
- 00:36:01 - Ketogenic diet improves symptoms in people with autoimmune disease. Study.
- 00:37:58 - The placebo and nocebo effect has a genetic basis. Study.
- 00:38:56 - Placebo/nocebo effect seen in gluten sensitivity studies. Study.
- 00:40:40 - Dietary fish oil increases dopamine production in brain. Study.
- 00:45:10 - How the RDAs - Recommended Dietary Allowances - are set: randomized controlled and non-randomized controlled trials, and depletion-repletion, balance, cross-sectional, and case studies. Study.
- 00:46:59 - Carnivore diet deficiency: Vitamin C
- 00:48:25 - Vitamin C and glucose use different transporters to enter cells. Study
- 00:49:54 - RDA for vitamin C based on depletion-repletion studies. Study.
- 00:53:55 - There’s a lot of biological variation in vitamin C needs. Study.
- 00:56:00 - Carnivore diet deficiency: Vitamin E
- 00:56:20 - RDA for vitamin E based on its ability to maintain cell integrity. Study.
- 00:57:00 - Men on low vitamin E diet showed hemolysis of their red blood cells after 2.5 years. Study.
- 00:59:00 - Inadequate folate causes double-stranded breaks in DNA. Study.
- 01:00:00 - Lack of consumer tests available for measuring DNA damage accurately
- 01:06:30 - Phytochemicals as activators of beneficial stress response and evolutionary context.
- 01:08:21 - Sulforaphane
- 01:08:43 - Broccoli sprouts have 10 to 100 times more sulforaphane than mature broccoli. Isothiocyanate facts.
- 01:08:59 - Sulforaphane promotes urinary excretion of benzene and acrolein, compounds in air pollution. Study.
- 01:09:14 - Sulforaphane activates Phase II detoxification enzymes and deactivates Phase I biotransformation enzymes, which can convert compounds to carcinogens. Study.
- 01:09:33 - Sulforaphane lowers biomarker for prostate cancer 86%. Study.
- 01:09:52 - Sulforaphane in Brussels sprouts increases antioxidant compound glutathione. Study.
- 01:09:52 - Sulforaphane in brussels sprouts decreases oxidative DNA damage. Study.
- 01:11:13 - Sulforaphane increases antioxidant compound glutathione in human brain. Study.
- 01:26:00 - Major changes in diet can alter the gut microbiome and temporarily cause discomfort
- 01:28:30 - Fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet
- 01:31:30 - Types of Alzheimer’s disease and current status of research
- 01:33:30 - Dr. Dale Bredesen’s protocol for Alzheimer’s disease
- 01:35:00 - APOE4 as a genetic risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease
- 01:36:19 - Amyloid plaques in brain are cleared away during sleep. Study.
- 01:36:54 - People who have APOE4 have a reduced efficiency of amyloid clearance. Study.
- 01:39:28 - Faulty DHA transport system in brains of people with APOE4 can be bypassed with phospholipid form of DHA. Study.
- 01:44:00 - Fish oil lowered cardiovascular disease risk by ~30%. Study.
- 01:43:45 - n−3 Fatty acids and cardiovascular disease risk factors among the Inuit of Nunavik.
- 02:01:00 - Ketones and Ketosis
- 02:07:50 - Sulforaphane supplementation
- 02:11:35 - Parenthood
- 02:21:32 - Health benefits of heat stress
- 02:23:52 - Single episode of sauna use improves vascular compliance (blood vessels’ ability to contract and expand), reduces blood pressure, and decreases CRP. Study.
- 02:24:20 - Sauna stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis in muscle. Study.
- 02:24:20 - Sauna use may reduce a chronic inflammatory state by reducing inflammatory cytokines. Study.
- 02:24:38 - Sauna use before working out reduces delayed-onset muscle soreness associated with exercise. Study.
- 02:25:40 - Increasing core body temperature decreases symptoms of depression. Dr. Raison study.
- 02:27:06 - Taking NSAIDs before working out blunts some of the benefits derived from exercise. Study.
- 02:31:55 - Effects of sensory deprivation
- Charles Raison
- Valter Longo
- Jed Fahey
- Mark Levine
- Alessio Fasano
Member support keeps us strong.
If you enjoy the fruits of , you can participate in helping us to keep improving it. Creating a pay-what-you-can subscription does just that! Plus, we throw in occasional member perks and, more importantly, churn out the best possible content without concerning ourselves with the wishes of any dark overlords.
Our website is 100% supported by people like you through this pay-what-you-can mechanism.
Fundamentals$5 / month
Loyal Fan$10 / month
Super Fan$25 / month
Power Supporter$50 / month
Heroic Supporter$125 / month